Grandkids are the best! We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our 5th, a baby girl due in September. Currently my daughter and her family are living with us and the baby will be sleeping in Mom and Dad’s already crowded 10×10 bedroom! With barely enough room for a cradle and a few supplies Rachel is doing a great job of making the most of the small space. To make the baby’s little corner of the world a special place she created a ribbon and fabric mobile with white and pink polka dot print fabrics and vintage ribbon. It will hang over Ella’s cradle next to a small cart filled with a few necessities.
The mobile is so cute I thought it would be fun to share pictures along with the instructions. It is a simple and inexpensive decoration that can be customized to fit any theme or color scheme.
Here is how it’s made:
- Cardstock or heavy paper for making pattern
- Off-white lightweight cotton fabric (Rachel used an old white cotton curtain)
- Pink and white tiny polka dot or other patterned cotton fabric
- Vintage or other coordinating patterned or solid ribbon
- Solid ribbon or fishing line for hanging
- Coordinating color yarn
- 9″ embroidery hoop
- Polyester stuffing
- Draw cloud onto cardstock and cut out to use as a pattern
- Fold white fabric in half to make two layers and outline 6 clouds onto fabric. Pin to hold into place and cut out clouds
- Sew the bottom of cloud only and turn so seam is inside
- Cut yarn into varying lengths
- Hand stitch around cloud puffs. Insert yarn in between two layers at top of cloud and sew through while hand stitching leaving a small opening at one end of the cloud to insert stuffing. Keep threaded needle attached with enough thread to finish stitching after stuffed
- Lightly stuff and hand stitch closed
- Attach two ribbons to hoop for hanging, or use fishing line
- Tie yarn with attached clouds to embroidery hoop at desired lengths
- Cut 1/2 ” strips of patterned fabric and ribbons different lengths long enough to be doubled over hoop
- Loop the ribbons over the hoop
- Trim ribbons if needed
The cart from IKEA comes in three colors and only cost $29.95. It is sturdy and rolls well unlike many similar carts making it a fantastic value. The finished mobile is the perfect addition for a this baby girl’s room. Looking forward to more creations and space saving ideas!