In the 60’s, every school year started the day after Labor Day. We didn’t have to wonder when it was going to start, we knew. Security.
Lots of things were different about school in the 60’s. I’m a baby boomer and proud of it and I like remembering when:
- If you didn’t mind your teacher, you were promptly sent to the principal’s office for a swat on the bottom delivered by a firm hand and a large paddle. I never wanted to get into trouble. We knew who was in charge!
- We all lined up dutifully to receive our smallpox vaccine. A few days later when the large scabs appeared, some of the boys thought it was very brave to try and knock one another’s scab off. Yes, we wear those scars with pride!
- My favorite part of kindergarten was snack time. A delicious cookie and good ole’ chocolate milk. Oh, the unhealthy horrors!
- During recess in elementary school one of our favorite things to play was boys chase the girls and if they caught us they got to kiss us, which never worked out for them because the girls defense was a well-placed kick to the shin. Did we only play that at my small little school in Missouri, or did you play it too?
- In elementary school we had book bags, not backpacks and we didn’t have to buy very many supplies. There was none of this buying of Kleenex, Clorox wipes, baggies, hand cleaner, etc.
- The girls had to wear dresses to school, and this didn’t change until after I graduated from high school. (I’m glad this one changed!)
- We learned math, the real math, not common core math. Parents everywhere are now at a loss when it comes to helping their children with math homework.
- We started every morning in our classroom by standing, saluting our American flag and pledging: “I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” Does your child, or grandchild’s school say the pledge of allegiance?
Ok, enough of the 60’s! We are talking about right here and now. I’ve joined with hop hosts Viva Veltoro and Lindsey Blogs at SEBG and a group of other great bloggers to bring you a giveaway hop full of back to school prizes. Be sure to hop around to all of the blogs listed at the bottom of this post and don’t miss that great Grand Prize!
What I’m offering as a Back to School giveaway is a $50.00 Visa gift card to help you with buying those Kleenex, Clorox wipes, and baggies, etc! So complete the form below to enter now for a chance to win, and good luck!
This post will be shared on some of the link parties found on my “Where I Party” page.
Lindsey Blogs So Easy Being Green, Viva Veltoro and the Back to School participating bloggers are not responsible for sponsors who do not fulfill prize obligations.