Blueberries are not only flavorful and scrumptious; they’re packed with nutritious value, which makes them a fruit that I try to incorporate into my diet whenever I can. There have been lots of studies done on the health benefits of blueberries and some of the things they’ve discovered are pretty exciting. So if you’re trying to make healthy food choices for yourself and your family, read on!
- Have the highest antioxidant value of all fruits
- Help to lower cholesterol
- Reduce blood glucose which aids in reducing diabetes
- Are beneficial in reducing belly fat
- Improve our vision
- The fiber in blueberries aids digestion and helps reduce constipation
- Help prevent cancer
- Help to slow the loss of cognitive function as we age
- Help us to fight aging
Eat this delicious little fruit every day and reap the benefits! One of my favorite ways to eat them is to put them in my oatmeal. I also like to eat them mixed in vanilla yogurt with some almond slivers thrown in for good measure.
I also love it when I have the opportunity to enjoy a nice piece of warm blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream slowly melting on top, but that opportunity doesn’t come along very often because I personally have never made a blueberry pie. But I have made a blueberry cake and it is soooo good!Mouth watering recipe for Blueberry Cake! Make it today to share with your family & friends! #recipe #blueberrycake #dessert #blueberries Click To Tweet
This is the recipe I’ve always used:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup blueberry syrup (this comes from the can of blueberries)
- 1 medium sized can of blueberries, drained and syrup saved
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons blueberry syrup
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Drain the blueberries, retaining the syrup for the recipe.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the sugar and ½ cup of the blueberry syrup. Heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Cover the bottom of a 10-inch baking dish with all of the blueberries.
- Pour the cooked syrup over the berries.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Beat the 3 egg yolks.
- Next beat together the beaten egg yolks, sugar and 5 tablespoons of blueberry syrup.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt and add to the batter.
- Now beat the 3 egg whites until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Pour mixture over the blueberries and bake in a 350-degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve upside down, topped with sweetened whipped cream.
You can purchase whipping cream and prepare it yourself or choose the quick route and buy Cool Whip or whipped cream in a can. Or no whipped cream!
I hope you and your family enjoy this Blueberry Cake recipe. (I like to eat it for breakfast too!)
It would be great if you would comment below and tell me your favorite way to eat blueberries.
Have a wonderful day,
Try making it healthier by using 1/2 wheat flour and cutting back just a little on the white sugar.
I will be sharing this post on the parties found on my “Where I Party” page!