And because they’re one of my favorites, I have had such a graving for some. So even though the selection of peaches was not what I would refer to as inviting, I couldn’t help myself and bought some on my last trip to the grocery store. Impatience didn’t pay off (once again) and the peaches were just okay, lacking that sweet juiciness I love.
How to use those not so great peaches….
Since the flavor wasn’t quite sweet enough for my liking I decided to use them in a recipe. And I had the perfect recipe in mind; sour cream peach muffins. This recipe bakes up as a rich and moist muffin that has the consistency of a bread, such as banana nut bread or zucchini bread.
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2/3 cup oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups peaches, fresh or canned, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Combine brown sugar, oil and egg in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, mix sour cream, salt, vanilla and baking soda.
- Add to brown sugar mixture.
- Slowly blend in flour.
- Do not overmix.
- Fold in peaches and nuts.
- Pour into muffin cups and sprinkle with sugar and/or cinnamon.
- Put a bit of butter on top of each.
- Sprinkle nuts on top.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Makes 12-20 muffins based on size.
As I started putting the muffin ingredients together, I decided to do a taste test on using fresh vs canned peaches. I cut the fresh peaches and put them in 1/2 of the batter and put canned peaches in the other half.
Peach muffins taste test….
Muffins were completed and cooled and it was now time to give them the taste test! The only people around today to give them the test was my husband, Paul and I. Oh well, our house, our muffins right!! So after savoring the taste of each of the muffins, the verdict was….they tasted just the same to us. No discernable difference between the fresh or the canned. A tidbit of info that might come in handy should I have a serious craving for peach muffins next winter!Your family will ask for this delicious recipe for Sour Cream Peach Muffins over and over again!… Click To Tweet
More peach recipes….
If peaches are one of your favorite summer fruits too, check out some of these other luscious looking recipes:
- Bunny’s Warm Oven has a really delicious looking Perfect Peach Pie.
- I Heart Naptime shares a recipe for Easy Baked Peaches with Cinnamon Sugar Topping.
- Cook Crave Inspire has a recipe for 4 Ingredient Peach Dumplings that will make your mouth water.
- Sugar Dish Me shows us how to make Peach Pie Biscuit Bombs.
Looking for another good recipe? Try this one for Soft, Yummy and Super Easy Granola Bars!
This post will be shared on the lovely link parties found on my “Where I Party” page!