This simple little breakfast casserole has been a hit with everyone I’ve shared it with. I’ve often been asked for the recipe, so I thought I would share it with you in the hope that you’ll feel the same way!
Anytime we have company staying with us or with any family vacation, this casserole is a must. It’s fantastic because you make it the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. In the morning you just pop it in the oven at 350 degrees and in about 45 minutes you have a delicious, hot casserole. That way, instead of standing at the hot stove cooking bacon, eggs and pancakes in the morning while everyone else is enjoying a nice cup of coffee and chatting, you can be right there in the midst of them!
- 1 loaf of french bread
- 2 pounds of your favorite sausage
- 14 eggs, beaten
- 1-2 bunches of green onion
- 2 small cans chopped chili peppers (if you really like it hot, you can go with chopped jalapenos)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Lightly grease or use cooking spray on the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Tear the french bread into pieces and place them evenly in the pan.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet.
- Drain the grease and spread the sausage over the bread.
- Mix together the eggs, green onion, chili peppers and shredded cheese.
- Pour over the bread and sausage.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove cover and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 minutes after removing from oven.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
There’s lots of flexibility that can be enjoyed with this recipe by simply adding some other ingredients to the eggs as you mix them. A couple of thoughts are fresh chives, garlic or maybe chili.Perfect make ahead breakfast casserole... hearty, filling, delicious! #breakfast #breakfastcasserole #hotsauce #recipe Click To Tweet
At our house spicing things up a bit is a must, so we always offer salsa and hot sauces to be eaten with our breakfast casserole. I like things “mildly” hot, which is basically cold if you ask my husband. I have never seen anyone that can eat hot peppers like that man can. I tease him that he doesn’t get the flavor of the actual food because all he can taste is the hot sauce and he teases me about how bland I like my food! As they say, variety is the spice of life!
To the breakfast casserole, add a nice bowl of fresh fruit and maybe a mimosa. Aw, the perfect breakfast!
Enjoy it soon!
This tasty recipe will be shared on some of the lovely link parties found on my “Where I Party” page.