I’ve never been a big fan of vegetable soup! In other words, I’ll never reach for it at the grocery store or order it at a restaurant. But there is one vegetable soup I love. It’s the vegetable soup my mom used to make for us and the only one I’ve ever made. Until now I don’t think the recipe has ever been written down, I just make it the way my mom did.
Recently my husband Paul, asked me to make some of “my vegetable soup” (he’s hooked on it now too), which started my thinking that maybe someone else might just like this easy recipe too. So now I’m sharing it with all of you in hopes that you’ll enjoy!
How we make our vegetable soup…
We start by peeling some russet potatoes, cutting them into bite size pieces and placing them in a soup pot or dutch oven. Next we chop up a small head of cabbage and add that to the potatoes. Cover with water, add about 10-12 beef bouillon cubes and allow to simmer for awhile. In the meantime lightly brown 2 pounds of hamburger meat (yes, hamburger meat!). Drain the hamburger and add to the potatoes and cabbage. Add a large can of stewed tomatoes (juice and all) and allow to simmer for about an hour. Taste and season additionally according to taste. Maybe more bouillon, salt, pepper, parsley, onion or whatever your favorite seasoning happens to be. Add a medium sized bag of frozen mixed vegetables and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.Homemade vegetable soup, the perfect warm and nurturing comfort food! #soup #vegetables #goodfood #recipe Click To Tweet
Serve with crackers or even better, warm bread straight from the oven with melting butter running over the edge. Mmmm!
- Russet potatoes - about 3 pounds
- Cabbage - 1 head
- Beef Bouillon Cubes - 12 cubes
- Hamburger - 2 pounds of low fat, 93/7% version
- Stewed Tomatoes - large can
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables - medium sized bag
- Seasonings - salt and pepper
- Cut potatoes into bite size pieces and place in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Chop up desired amount of cabbage and add to potatoes.
- Cover with water and add 10-12 bouillon cubes.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil, turn down and allow to simmer.
- Lightly brown hamburger and add to soup pot.
- Allow all to simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add can of stewed tomatoes, juice and all.
- Add bag of frozen mixed vegetables.
- Season to taste - I have always just used salt and pepper to season with. But you may want to add something more, like parsley, onion or ??
- Simmer at least an additional 30 minutes.
Thank you for reading, have a great day and enjoy the soup!
This recipe will be shared on the lovely link parties found on my “Where I Party” page.